Saturday, April 25, 2009

Christmas cactus?

I have a cactus for years now and I have never had a bloom or a flower on it, does anyone have any ideas. I've tryed a few and they didn't work.

Christmas cactus?
I have one too and I've had it for a while. This year I started watering it more often and I used the same water that I used for African violets. That water has 7 drops of the miracle grow fert. for african violets added to it. This Dec. it put on blooms. Not sure if the fert. did it or not. May have just been a coincidence.
Reply:Christmas cacti like to be chilled and dark for 2 weeks to bloom. The fertilizer helps, but they need the cool temps to kick it into bloom mode. This is going to sound weird, but, put it in a cool (45-50 degrees), dark place for 2 weeks. Water it thoroughly first, then place it in a basement, attached garage (they usually aren't as cold as an unattached one), or if you have neither, do like I do and put it in a box in your fridge. That seems to be the perfect temp because the box insulates it a little and most fridges run around 40 to 45 degrees anyway. Good Luck!!!

new year lily

No comments:

Post a Comment