Thursday, November 12, 2009

I recieved a christmas cactus that has already started to sprout . How do I take care of it? Sunlight-water?

If you have flowers opening be careful about watering too much because the flowers will drop off. Sit it by a bright window. The really tricky part is getting it to bloom again. I put mine out in the shade garden in the summer. When it starts getting cool in the fall stop watering it. Start to water it again when it is time to bring it in for the winter and it will bloom again.

I recieved a christmas cactus that has already started to sprout . How do I take care of it? Sunlight-water?
Plenty of sunlight, very little water, room temperature. Only water it when the soil or compost is REALLY dry. NEVER let it sit in water.
Reply:Keep it in the pot it came in until you know its root bound.Then if you must repot it only go one to two sizes larger.It like bright filtered light sunlight,even small amounts will burn it.Moderate to little water all year .I move mine outside in summer but no sun,then bring back in in sept and keep in semi-dark light then in november I keep it compelety dark and cool 65 and for 2 weeks bring it out water it good and it will bloom for Christmas lasts about 6 weeks,I use time release fertilizer once a year.Mine is hugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment