Saturday, November 14, 2009

What reasons would keep my Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus from blooming?

Christmas cactus is one of those plants that needs careful sunlight exposure and temperature modifications made to it before it will bloom. The link below will give you step by step instructions. They work. A couple of years ago I had mine in bloom for a long time, and it blossomed several times.





Good luck.

What reasons would keep my Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus from blooming?
Scuba... has part of the answer...





Over the years the primary reason I have found for Christmas cactus (and similar flowering cactus) not blooming is too much water. We kind-of treat these plants more like typical house plants and less like cactus. These tropical cactus get a rainy wet season and a dry season in their natural cycle. In late summer or early fall cut back the watering to almost nothing. I have had a customer that told me that in order to achieve the right level of dryness that she laid the plant on its side! I think that is extreme but you get the point. I completely neglected mine from the end of July onward, and lo- I had blooms galore!





Fertilize while the plant is in bloom, so that it saves that energy for its next flowering cycle.





A little neglect will go a long way for this plant!





Good luck-
Reply:xmas cacti bloom as a function of photoperiod and temperature. Cooler temps and shorter days will trigger bud formation. To much nitrogen might inhibit flowering.


No comments:

Post a Comment